YOGA for TEENS
The teenage years are full of change, growth, stress and peer pressure. Demands on our teens can be extremely challenging and often overwhelming. Yoga offers unique benefits which allow teens to relax and unwind and learn the skills to help them manage the demands of developing into adulthood.
For a number of years now I have been teaching yoga to transition year students in Ballincollig and Cork City secondary schools. These are some of the most wonderfully challenging and rewarding classes I have every had the privilege to teach. Yoga presents some special benefits to teens, that can be carried and developed throughout their lives. Creating confidence and a self image of power and ability, gives these teens a head start as they move towards the pressures of exams and the greater expectations of moving beyond secondary school.
BENEFITS OF YOGA FOR TEENAGERS
- Builds strength of muscles and bones.
- Lengthens muscles to increase mobility in the joints.
- Develops understanding of body mechanics, healthy movement patterns, and ideal postural alignment.
- Develops the skill of non-action and the awareness to physically relax.
- Draws attention to the breath as a reflection of your state of mind and as a tool to bring relaxation and focus.
- Provides physical experiences that ask the body to continually re-establish balance, while developing coordination and prevent injury.
- Revitalises low energy and tempers hyperactivity.
- Allows you to experience a sense of space around your concerns (including what others think) and provides techniques for redirecting thoughts and calming the nervous system.
- Help you to make choices that respect yourself and others.
- Develops your ability to focus through practical disciplines of breath and body work.
- Provides a strengthened internal perspective; helps self-image develop free of media and other cultural influences.
- Cultivates gratitude for what the body can do; enables you to let go of the tendency to be critical of one’s self and judgemental of others.
- Provides a healthy way to experiment, take risks, and explore the body.
- Opens us to greater qualities of kindness, compassion and nonviolence.
- Cultivates interconnectedness between ourselves, others, and the natural world around us.
- Heightens awareness and cultivates emotional connection while combating both numbness and drama.
- Encourages self-trust by valuing one’s internal voice.
“Just a fantastic module. End of!”
“It was very fun and relaxing, I love yoga!”
“It was fun and relaxing and helped build up confidence. If I keep it up I would be a lot more fit and flexible”
“This class is great fun and I recommend more people to do this programme. I can stretch and my breathing is better”
“Even though I have only been doing yoga a short time, it has already helped me so much in learning how to relax, all while doing exercise. I would definitely recommend it. I feel more relaxed. The quotes given on sheets each week really put things in perspective.”
“Very relaxing if surrounded by the right people.”
“I really enjoyed it. It was very interesting and I will definitely try to keep up yoga on my own”.
“I really enjoyed yoga this year. It was really interesting to learn about and a fun way to exercise. I enjoyed being able to see myself getting better as the weeks went on. I think I’m much more flexible. I found the poses easier as the weeks progressed.”
“It was good fun”.